Google+

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Tofu Eggdrop Soup


I was inspired to try my hand at Tofu Eggdrop Soup because my daughter and I have taken a liking to one at our local Vietnamese restaurant. I find their version a little heavy on the cornstarch and a little bland, so decided to create a version that suits my palate.  This version was made with peas and spinach, but you can use any vegetables that appeal.  I made a different version last night with broccoli and carrots.  It's a dish you can feel 100% great about eating and serving, because it's low-fat and packed with protein.  Plus, it only takes 15-20 minutes to prepare. 

Tofu Eggdrop Soup:
1/2 small white onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced (1 clove is used with the mushrooms)
1 tsp ginger, peeled and minced
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil or sesame oil
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
3 cups vegetable stock
4 oz crimini mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
S&P
7 oz tofu, cut into small cubes (I used Wildwood Sprouted Medium)
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 1/2 cups vegetables of your choice, cut small
1 egg

Soy sauce to taste

Heat 1 tsp of the oil in a saucepan and cook the onion and 1 minced garlic clove for 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are starting soften. Add the ginger and cook 2 more minutes. Add the vegetable stock and toasted sesame oil and bring to a boil. 

In a separate saute pan, heat 1 tsp of oil and add 1 minced garlic clove.  Cook for 1 minute, then add the sliced mushrooms. Cook over medium high heat until the mushrooms start to release their juices. Remove from heat and add salt and pepper.

When the soup comes to a boil, turn it down to a simmer and add the mushrooms and any harder vegetables you are using (carrots, broccoli etc). Add the frozen peas and simmer for 5-6 minutes, so the vegetable still have some bite. If you are using spinach, wait until the last minute to add. Two minutes before your vegetable are going to be done, add the cubed tofu.  Beat the egg in a separate container.  Pour the egg from about 8 inches above the saucepan, while stirring the soup with energy. Add soy sauce to taste and enjoy!



5 Comments:

Anonymous Angela said...

I love your post! You totally need to be putting some of your stuff on flauntmyfood.com

i got there to check out cool food pics and they link me to recipes or food bloggers. Anywho, great site!

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Fork and Whisk said...

Sounds delicious and I like that it is healthy as well. My wife and I are trying to eat healthier lately.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous grazia said...

It's the kind of vegetarian dish I was looking for. Thank you very much :)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooking-Italian-Recipes/194810623869554?ref=stream

9:22 AM  
Anonymous thesweetandsourchronicles said...

I love to make egg drop soup and love how healthy this recipe is. I tried it with dried black mushrooms (because they're always in my pantry) and threw in some edamame for added protein.

10:31 PM  
Anonymous thesweetandsourchronicles said...

This is a healthy and simple recipe. Thanks! I'm going to try adding some edamame for a bigger boost of protein.

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home