Google+

Thursday, March 01, 2012

Pesto Quiche with Mushrooms & Spinach



While it may not be that super low-fat quiche recipe you're dreaming of (I'll work on that one), this recipe is just the perfect blend of flavor combinations - eggs, pesto, cheese, mushrooms and spinach!

In addition to using Farmers' Market fresh eggs, the custard includes a tablespoon of pesto, in this case, a non-nut formula by a new local vendor, CoBee's Cuisine. Their pesto ingredients are fresh basil, garlic, salt, olive oil & Parmesan cheese. I discovered them at our local Corte Madera Farmers' Market and this product is seriously fresh and delicious - a really outstanding pesto!

This is so good, I've made this six times in the last three weeks!

Here's the recipe:

Pesto Quiche with Mushrooms & Spinach

1/2 tsp butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp olive oil
1-2 large portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced and cut in half
A few drops of balsamic vinegar
1 TBS wine
1-2 cups fresh baby spinach
salt & pepper
1/2 cup Emmental cheese, grated
2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
Half & half - with the eggs to get to 1.5 cups
1 TBS favorite pesto
1 frozen deep dish pie crust

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Melt the butter in a skillet and add the minced garlic. Cook until just starting to brown. Add the olive oil and add the portobello mushrooms. Coat the mushrooms in the oil and cook for 3-4 minutes until the mushrooms start to release their juices. Add the balsamic vinegar and wine and season with a little S & P. When the mushrooms are almost tender, add the spinach and cook for 1-2 minutes, until wilted.

Whisk the 2 eggs plus 1 yolk together in a measuring container. Add enough half & half to make 1.5 cups. Whisk in 1 TBS of your favorite pesto.

Grate the Emmental cheese. Take the frozen pie crust out of the freezer and sprinkle the bottom with some of the grated cheese. Add the sauteed mushrooms and spinach, making sure they are evenly distributed over the crust. Top with most of the remaining cheese, reserving a little for the top. Rebeat the pesto-egg-custard and pour over the pie. Top with a little grated cheese.

Bake for 35 minutes. Serve with your favorite salad.

12 Comments:

Blogger City Share said...

I can understand why you would make it so many times. (I'm the same way. I make something I like and I make it over and over) It looks fabulous. I'll have to give this a try.

10:44 AM  
Anonymous jolyne said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To cut the fat, would you consider trying nonfat evaporated milk in place of the Half & Half?

I've made your spinach-feta quiche many times, and I'm a fan.

Joseph

5:17 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

City Share - it's so good, but I must come up with a lower calorie version! Thanks for commenting!

Joseph - thanks for your suggestion! I would never have thought of trying that. I'm actually thinking of trying a tofu-basil vegan quiche. Hard to beat the taste of farm fresh eggs though! Thanks for visiting!

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Catherine,

All of your recipes look delicious! Please open up your own restaurant. I can't find anything like your recipes here in Santa Barbara. I'm a UCSB student and intern at FindTheBest and I would love to add Albion Cooks to our blog directory for free. Please email me at ethtomas AT gmail DOT com so I can get you added.

Best,
-Evan

4:10 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Evan - thanks so much! I'd love to open my own restaurant/cafe. Who knows what the future may bring!

I will email you for FindTheBest and thanks again!
Catherine

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Floyd @ party platters said...

Hi Catherine,

A first time commenter here, i really love your delicious and healthy recipes, i am very familiar with the emmental cheese that you use, i really love those kinds of cheese, they are renowned worldwide for it's soft and consistent paste with fine flavors. Will be reading all your posts and employ your recipes unto our menu, thanks a lot.

3:44 AM  
Anonymous Paola said...

I love this recipe and your blog too. Bye.

4:46 AM  
Anonymous The Head Caterer said...

mmm, this looks amazing, can't wait to try this out!! I love the fact that this is healthy and i bet it tastes great, i need to start cooking healthier things instead of sweets all the time.


Caterers in Manchester

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Katya said...

Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

4:46 AM  
Anonymous Mimi Takano said...

I absolutely love quiche and I've been dying to make it all summer. I think this might be a great recipe to start with :) It looks so good!

12:29 PM  
Blogger nahidworld said...

wow, the picture given looks yammi I want to eat some.
Quiches

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home