Google+

Friday, February 03, 2012

Spicy Broccoli & Chickpea Salad


Looking for a healthier Super Bowl side dish? This delicious combo of broccoli, chickpeas, assorted fresh vegetables and spice packs in the flavor, but not the fat.

The salad was inspired by a deli salad at my local favorite upscale grocery store, Paradise Foods. The original had a very creamy lemon aioli dressing that I loved at first bite, but quickly became too rich for me. This salad is much lighter - more of a lemon vinaigrette- with just a hint of creamy mayonnaise. I also changed the flavor profile with spices. Mine has cumin, red chili flakes and cayenne to give it a nice little kick. One of my favorite things about this salad, is the crunch of thinly sliced green beans.

While this is a snap to prepare, it's a great make-ahead option, as it tastes better the second day. Great for a pot luck or as a side for your lunch box.

And, I'm happy to announce, Albion Cooks entered it's 6th year on Jan. 31st!

Spicy Broccoli & Chickpea Salad:
3 cups broccoli florettes, cut very small, stalks removed
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 small red bell pepper, diced
Bunch of scallions, finely sliced
1/2 cup thin green beans, thinly sliced
1/4 cup sliced black olives
crumbled feta (if desired)
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 TBS olive oil
1 tsp white wine vinegar (or a citrus based vinegar)
1 TBS olive oil mayo or vegan mayo
1 tsp ground cumin
red chili flakes to taste
cayenne to taste (start with one shake - mine had two)
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients except the spices in a large bowl. Add the spices and salt and pepper, according to your own taste.

You're done! Enjoy!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Jean | Delightful Repast said...

Catherine, this is a salad I'll be making soon! Congratulations on 6 years of blogging. I just had my Second Blogiversary a few days ago. I wonder how many blog starts make it to the 2-year mark, the 6-year mark?

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Mills said...

My daughter makes something like this when I visit. I love it and I think I will love this too.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Gabi said...

Was literally just trying to work out what to have for a healthy lunch after a slightly too indulgent week...! This hit the spot perfectly. Thanks!

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Catering Equipment said...

Don't you just love chick peas, I am looking for some useful recipes for use with chick peas. thanks for this one.
Catering Equipment

6:44 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Jean - thanks for visiting and congrats on 2 years! I used to post every day, but it's hard to keep that pace up and maintain quality. Now my posts are much more inspired!

Mills & Gabi - I love this recipe because it has just enough richness to be fab, but not enough to derail healthy eating!

Catering Equip - I have to admit, chickpeas aren't my fav, but when you mix them with the right elements, they really shine!

7:36 PM  
Anonymous carpet cleaning Fargo ND said...

This looks terrific, my wife will love it

4:42 PM  
Anonymous New York Boot Camp said...

I like vegetables and salad which is best for our health. Because we eat salad in raw shape and which are full of vitamins . I personally like Greek and Russian salad. I like this blog and my favorite salad vegetables.

2:26 AM  
Anonymous meigancam said...

Hi, many, many thanks for taking the time to share.. It was useful for my team. Thanks for all of your hard work! I enjoy your weblog and will sign up to your feed so I will not miss anything. Fantastic content.religion and foodchristian hospitality

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home