Google+

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tempeh, Mushrooms & Peas in Tomato-Caper Sauce



While I much prefer tofu to tempeh, I just had to try the Lemon-Pepper Marinated Tempeh Strips. I sauteed the strips then combined them with marinated mushrooms and peas in a zesty tomato-caper sauce.

I served this cold at a picnic to non-vegetarians and everyone enjoyed it! It's really packed full of flavor and the peas offer a fresh contrast to the zesty ingredients. Delicious with bread, it would also be an awesome sandwich filling.

Tempeh, Mushrooms & Peas in Tomato-Caper Sauce:
1.5 TBS grapeseed oil
1 package of Lemon Pepper Tempeh
1 tsp olive oil
2 large cloves of spring garlic, thinly sliced
14 oz can fine diced tomatoes
3 kalamata olives, cut in quarters
2 tsp capers
1/3 cup frozen peas
1/3 cup marinated mushrooms (I used Trader Joe's), cut into halves or quarters
2 large leaves of basil, juilienned
pepper to taste

Heat the grapeseed oil in a skillet over high heat and saute the strips of lemon pepper tempeh on both sides until browned and crispy. Cool and cut into 1 inch pieces.


Heat a teaspoon of oil in a skillet. Add the sliced garlic and saute until brown. Add the tomatoes and cook for 4 minutes. Add the olives and capers and pepper and cook for 5-7 minutes until sauce begins to thicken. Add the peas and cook 2-3 minutes, until the peas are tender and bright green. Add the mushrooms and tempeh and cook 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Add the julienned basil.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jennywenny said...

I'm loving the new tempeh flavors! I saw them in wholefoods recently, and I loved the lemon pepper, and I recently tried the coconut curry. Really yummy just with bland veggies, or in a sandwich as the marinade is very tasty.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hmm..coconut curry! I'll have to try that!

11:52 AM  
Blogger Marc said...

What brand of tempeh did you use? I have a Balinese tempeh curry that I like to make, but the last attempt was marred by some unpleasant tempeh (Life Love? Live Foods? I forget the brand name but would know it if I saw it.). It's too bad there isn't a local maker in the theme of Hodo Soy Beanery -- i.e., really fresh, really high quality. Hodo can't make tempeh in their plant because of cross-contamination concerns (tempeh culture infecting the tofu).

9:00 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Marc,
The strips are tofurky brand - here's a link:

http://www.tofurky.com/tempehproducts/marinated_strips.html

I don't know any local producers. I love Hodo Soy - just got some of their yuba to play with!

9:58 AM  
Anonymous expert contabil said...

Oh my God this looks so good and i`m sure that it is delicious too. I think it is not a very difficult recipe so i will give it a try, thanks a lot for sharing.

7:43 AM  
Blogger myFudo said...

My goodness, this does look delish!! Healthy and satisfying too I bet. I haven't had TEMPEH in a long time.

9:43 PM  
Anonymous stampedconcrete said...

looks so delicious .. yummy !!

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Online Food Menus said...

Amazing ! This looks delightful. The veggies in the gravy are looking yummy ! Thanks for sharing.

5:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home