Google+

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Matzo Lasagna for Passover


Looking for a tasty recipe for Passover? Check out this recipe for Matzo Lasagna. It's a crowd pleaser!

Like any great lasagna, this recipe includes ricotta cheese, spinach, mozzarella, Parmesan, tomato sauce, garlic and fresh oregano:

But it uses Matzo in place of the pasta sheets:


The trick is to soak the matzo in warm water (or wine), so it's not too dry and crumbly. Otherwise, you could follow any vegetarian lasagna dish and simply substitute soaked matzo for the pasta.

MATZO LASAGNA

9 pieces matzo, softened in warm water or wine
Your favorite marinara sauce
1 pound ricotta cheese, part skim if possible
5 cups of spinach - chopped fine
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 cup Parmasean cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese


Put the ricotta in a bowl and mix with the spinach, spices, 1/4 cup of the parmesan and 1/4 c. of the mozzarella.

Cover the bottom of a baking pan with some of the matzo. Cover with some of the sauce. Cover sauce with 1/3 of the cheese mixture.

Put some more matzo on top of the cheese and continue the process until all is used up making sure that top of lasagna is matzo and some sauce.

On the top, spread the remaining mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.

Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until cooked through.

Enjoy!




17 Comments:

Blogger Jenn and Jac @ sketch-free eating said...

wow! so creative!

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Mark said...

Genius! Looks like a very unique and delicious lasagna. Thanks for the post!

11:17 AM  
Anonymous nancy@skinnykitchen.com said...

Sounds really delish and perfect or Passover!

1:16 PM  
Anonymous THE BASIC Magazine said...

Interesting and creative idea.

5:13 AM  
Blogger Viv said...

omg looks so yummy!



myblissisthisway.blogspot.com

9:54 AM  
Anonymous David Ng said...

Wow that looks great. Love the green in it.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Catherine Criswell Spear said...

Have to try this lasagna -- love matzohs!

4:57 AM  
Anonymous Miami catering said...

Lasagna is one of my favorite food and I am very happy that I came to know your post. I will surely add this recipe on my bucket list. Thanks for this yummy article.

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Yoshi Blade said...

This matzo lasagna recipe sounds (and looks) wonderful. Thanks for the great pictures.

1:49 PM  
Anonymous healthy eating recipe said...

I love lasagna, but I never try vegetarian lasagna, your lasagna's picture make me hungry, and want to try it, Good job!

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Food Safety Training said...

I always have a thing for lasagna. I love the cheese, the sauce and the overall taste. Thanks for sharing this. I'll definitely make this at home.

1:12 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

I tried this matzo lasagne tonight and it was amazing. It was actually better than my real lasagne which I can never seem to get right. Thanks for this amazing recipe. It will make an appearance over many passovers to come

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Meredith said...

This was absolutely delicious. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe!! It's now going to be an annual Passover staple in my house. :)

4:17 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Megan & Meredith - I'm so glad you enjoyed this recipe! ?Thanks for commenting!

2:06 PM  
Blogger Suzanne S.~ KawartthaMums Founder said...

I'm just learning about Chemetz and Passover. My understanding is you are not to let the matzo be touched with water,
Could you also soak it in tomato juice?

8:40 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Ruden said...

My friend made this and we loved it. Is like to make it but am not sure what size pan to use ? 9x 11 ?

6:14 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Suzanne - I'd not heard that. Most tomato juices (and sauces) are made from water and tomato concentrate, so I guess it depends on how strict that rule is.

Jennifer - I think the pan I used was 9 or 10 by 13.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home