Google+

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Borscht


As the weather cools and those heavy-meal holidays approach, my mind naturally turns to soups that make a complete meal. I crave simplicity, lots of healthy vitamin-filled vegetables, comfort and heartiness, in a way that won't weigh me down. This beautiful Borscht - a soup of beets, potatoes, and red cabbage - is such a stunning dish! And, it's few ingredients are packed with goodness. Beets are a great source of Vitamin C and full of antioxidants and along with red cabbage are great detox support foods. A little potato makes this soup a satisfying yet low-cal meal.

Borscht:

1 TBS vegetable oil
1/2 onion, peeled and diced
3 medium beets, peeled and diced
1 medium potato, peeled and diced
1/2 red cabbage, chopped
3 cups vegetable broth
1 cup water
sea salt to taste
apple cider vinegar to taste

Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan and saute the onion for 5 minutes. Add the beets, cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid sticking. Add the potato and some salt and cook for 3 minutes. Add the red cabbage and cook for 1 minute. Add the vegetable broth and water and bring to a boil (uncovered). Turn down to a low simmer and cook until beets and potatoes are just tender (10-15 minutes). Adjust salt and add apple cider vinegar as desired (I used 2-3 tsp).

The Food Lover's Companion says Borscht "should always be garnished with a dollop of sour cream". It does add a wonderful creamy contrast, but I skipped it this time. Either way, this is a dish your body will love you for enjoying.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Jane @ Sweet Basil Kitchen said...

All right I confess I have never eaten borscht although I am a soup fanatic! It is not that I don't like beets, just wasn't sure about the combination of it all. However, I am bookmarking your recipe and will try it this week! Thanks!

4:39 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your comment. It's so good and such a distinctive soup. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
Catherine

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Mark said...

Great dish. I love the color. I think more people need to cook with beets, they are so delicious.

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Christmas Sweets said...

First of all, I looove the color of this soup. I'm a sucker for red. I'm gonna have to try this recipe. It's so easy to do!

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Recipes of Gulzar said...

Hi

Great information in this post and I think beets are a great source of Vitamin C and full of antioxidants and along with red cabbage are great detox support foods. A little potato makes this soup a satisfying yet low-cal meal.

12:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is a gorgeous dish, I can't wait to make it for a special night with my spouse. Thanks. And I found a great food storage company that offers vegetarian food storage for anyone who would like it. Preparewise.com. Thanks

Food Storage
Freeze Dried Food
Daily Bread

2:16 PM  
Anonymous boiled sweets said...

Great dish! It brings back memories for when my roommate's Russian granny visited us and she made us borscht. She was a terrific woman and how I wish I could eat this dish again.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Lady Amalthea said...

I love borscht! I grew up eating this kind of vegetarian version and really prefer it. Thanks for reminding me it exists!

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Eating places said...

Oh my goodness, I have just found your blog and I think I love it. I will try this at my home.

3:54 AM  
Anonymous restaurants said...

wow nice soup.... i love color of soup... thanks for sharing it...

4:49 AM  
Anonymous Sydney said...

These things look gorgeous and I am sure are delicious. I'm bookmarking these to try this weekend.

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Kathleen said...

The first time I made borsht we were instructed to blend the beets in a blender. My roommate forgot to put the top on and we were completely spattered purple! This one looks not only tasty but a lot less dangerous for our clothes :)

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home