Google+

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Tomato Vegetable Soup


After a couple of spectacular sunny days, the rain returned and I woke up in a funk. A funk from head to toe: my mood was low, my back ached, my knees popped throughout my morning sun salutations.

So when dinner time rolled around, I was wanting warm, comfort food. But I wanted a kick, a brightness beyond the comfort. The tangy tomato broth and addition of kalamata olives gave this comforting soup of potatoes, cabbage, white beans, kale, and broccoli just the kick I was looking for.

Tomato Vegetable Soup:
2TBS olive oil
1/2 large onion, finely chopped
3 small cloves of garlic, minced
red chili peppers, a pinch
1 russet potato, peeled and diced 1/4"
1 tsp Earth balance
salt
pepper
1 cup savoy cabbage, sliced and roughly chopped
8 oz vegetable broth
8oz tomato sauce (I used A.G. Ferrari's Passato di Pomodoro: just tomatoes, basil, and salt)
water as needed
1 cup broccoli florettes
1 cup kale leaves, stems removed, torn into pieces)
6oz white beans, (cooked)
5 kalamata olives, sliced

Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed soup pot and cook the onions for 2-3 minutes over medium low heat. Add the garlic and cook 1-2 minutes, stirring so it doesn't stick. Add the red chili peppers and cook one more minute. Add the potato, Earth Balance, salt and pepper, cover and turn heat up to medium. Cook for about 4 minutes. Add the cabbage, stir well, and cook covered for another 3 minutes. Add the vegetable broth and tomato sauce. Turn up the heat and bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer. Cook for 8-10 minutes, then add broccoli, kale, white beans and olives. Add water, as needed. Simmer an additional 5-6 minutes. Adjust seasoning and serve.

8 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Looks lovely - light and brothy, but with chunks of filling vegetables. Transition dish from Winter to Spring? I think so :)

1:55 PM  
Blogger A_and_N said...

There is something about soup that makes it so special on rainy days isnt it? :)

This looks very satisfying!

5:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems like you've been having a good time preparing soups ya? They make me drool, esp tomato soups!

10:35 PM  
Blogger jb said...

The olives really make this soup seem like a winner to me, as do the white beans. Mmm my favorite!

6:12 PM  
Blogger be'ershevaboheme6 said...

This looks REALLY yummy!

....and I love everything with olives on it ;)

12:21 PM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

That soup looks perfect right about now.

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Susanne Schjerning said...

I'm not much of a chef so I followed this recipe strictly and it turned out fantastic! And what a great idea with the kalamata olives. I didn't have any earth balance (whatever that is) so I used a small handful of mulch instead. I thought it added a nice dimension to the texture of the soup. My hubby wasn't so sure but this is definitely going into my cooking repertoire. Thanks! Great blog btw.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Susanne,

Thanks for visiting and commenting! Earth balance is a vegan butter substitute. So glad you enjoyed this recipe!

Happy Hols,
Catherine

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home