Google+

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Baby Cauliflower, Tofu and Napa Cabbage with Horseradish Cashew Cream Sauce


Modesty aside, this dish was a little bolt of vegan genius! Baby cauliflower, over tea-smoked tofu, with Napa cabbage with a cashew cream-horseradish cream sauce.

I've always loved cauliflower with cheese sauce, but when thinking of a vegan sauce to replace the cheese, horseradish with cashew cream seemed like a winner. And, if only you could taste what a winner it was right now! I steamed the baby cauliflower and cabbage for about 5 minutes. I sauteed tea-smoked tofu in EVOO until lightly crisped. I made the sauce with a 1/2 shallot sauteed in EVOO, with 1/4 cup cashew cream and about a teaspoon each of horseradish and sake. I used water to get the right consistency.

I put the cabbage around the plate, built a little base of the tofu strips, topped with the baby cauliflower, and then spooned the cashew cream-horseradish sauce over the cauliflower and cabbage. The freshness of the vegetables, the smokey tea-flavored tofu and the indulgently creamy bold sauce made an incredibly tasty combination.

The cashew-horseradish cream would make a delicious sauce for any root vegetables! Swap the sake for white wine!

Enjoy!


4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I am so ready to go home for spring break and try using this cashew cream everyone's raving about :)

9:48 PM  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

This looks incredibly delicious!

11:00 PM  
Blogger Emily Anne Carson said...

Yum, yum, yum. Makes me want to head back to the grocery store. I went earlier today and am now wishing I would stumbled upon your blog earlier today. :)

5:23 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Chris - it's sooooo easy and the perfect vegan solution to white sauce!

Anna - thanks - it was!

Emily - thank you! So easy and satisfying - so next time!

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home