Google+

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Rutabaga & Potato Soup with Pea Greens



I love rutabagas or "swede" as we call them in England. I couldn't care less about turnips, but rutabagas mashed with butter and salt are a comfort food to me. Thinking back, the first comment I ever posted to a food blog was in defense of rutabagas. And reading and posting comments to other food blogs, quickly inspired me to create Albion Cooks. So finding a comforting rutabaga and potato soup recipe here should come as no surprise. Rutabaga lovers, unite!

This soup was simple, humble and delicious! The pea greens, added at the end, provided a lovely freshness to the comforting pureed soup. Watercress would be a good substitute if pea greens are not available.

Enjoy!

Rutabaga & Potato Soup with Pea Greens:
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp butter
1 medium rutabaga, peeled and small dice
1 medium russet potato, peeled and small dice
1/2 cup vegetable broth
water (as needed)
salt and pepper
pea greens

Heat the oil and butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add the diced rutabaga and potato and cover. Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes to avoid sticking. Add the vegetable broth, water (as needed), salt and pepper. Partially cover and cook until tender. Puree with an immersion blender. Adjust seasoning.

Add fresh pea greens on top when serving. Stir in the pea greens and enjoy.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I haven't had rutabagas in such a long time that I actually might have forgotten what they taste like! I really like the idea of chopped watercress thrown at the end. Now if only I had an immersion blender...

8:53 PM  
Blogger anne said...

Mmmm. Nice combination of end-of-winter/early spring flavors! (come on, spring!)

Thanks - will try this this weekend.

6:22 AM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I'm surprised to see that teaspoon of butter in your recipe! Not horrified, mind you. I like butter.

Two more things: Guillermo calls you "Gorgeous Catherine."
And, we made the baked eggs in tomato sauce last night.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

Oh my, my grandfather grew these and they were SO prolific. I didn't like them as a child, but do now and fondly think of him when I enjoy them.

7:02 PM  
Blogger zlamushka said...

What a lovely soup. I dotn think i ever cooked with rutabaga, and honestly speaking I am not even sure what it is, a root veggie I assume. Looks really creamy in the soup :-)

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home