Google+

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Where I've Been & What I've Been Eating


I've just returned from a wonderful 10 day holiday abroad! It was very hot at my destination, so you'll note there are an unusual number of frozen desserts pictured here. Above a Melon & Pims sorbet with melon slices and mango sauce.


Super-rich three scoops of vanilla ice cream ( creamier than any I've had in the US) with extra large mint leaves!

Blackcurrant sorbet.

Is your mouth watering? A combo shot of vanilla ice cream and black currant sorbet.



Slow-roasted tomato appetizer.

Delicious garden vegetable pizza.


Top-notch cheese board with oat crackers and apple jelly.

Incredibly tasty apple and rhubarb juice (please make this available in the US)

Full vegetarian breakfast with vegetarian sausage (I'm giving it away).

Homemade sponge cake (OK...you must have a good guess by now!).

Pitcher of Pims!

Flake 99 ice cream at Hampstead Heath.

As I'm sure you've guessed by now, I 've just returned from a 10 day holiday to my homeland, England. My cousin's wedding was the big family reunion event, but I also enjoyed catching up with many friends and family I haven't seen for many a year. My first trip back in 11 years was the perfect summer holiday. It was in the 80s and very humid!

Got back yesterday afternoon and the jet-lag is really upon me. I'd love to hear any jet-lag cures you'd care to share.

It was wonderful to be home - I almost felt like I'd never left.

England is so beautifully green and lush and I have to say the food was really outstanding.

It was my first vacation alone in a million years and I can't tell you how much I needed it! But it's also very good to be back home with the kids.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jennywenny said...

mmmm. I'm so jealous! I dont think it will still be ice cream weather when I go back in october! As soon as I saw the pimms I knew it would be britain!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

jennywenny -welcome! I really didn't expect it to be so warm in England myself. I only had 3 short sleeve shirts and 6 sweaters (that I never wore). You're probably right, tho'! Still, at university, I used to get my 99 flake in the dead of snowy winter!

9:38 PM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

Sounds and looks fabulous!

10:30 AM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

It wasn't the sausage that gave it away, it was the tiny dish of beans!
:D

11:35 AM  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

Welcome home! Looks like you had fun!

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those sorbets look edible. That must have been some 10 day holiday that you have just returned from.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

I love all these photos. The sorbet looks especially inviting. Your vacation sounds lovely and I hope by now your jet lag has abated. My cure is to make myself get and stay on home time, no matter how tired I am. It takes just 24 hours to adjust and then I'm fine.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

christine - that's exactly what I do. Not a problem going there, but coming back, I was still jet lagged, even though I had stayed up and kept to the new time. then, the dreaded summer head cold hit...grr

6:02 PM  
Blogger bazu said...

I look forward to going in 3 weeks! (ack- 3 weeks?!) I hope the warm weather lasts... as for jet-lag, I've found melatonin supplements to be really helpful.

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home