Google+

Friday, August 29, 2008

Caprese with Pretty Organic Heirlooms


I'm really enjoying the heirloom tomatoes this year!

This caprese was made with a delicious selection of organic heirloom tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, fruity extra virgin olive oil from A. G. Ferrari, white balsamic vinegar, basil, French sea salt, and ground pepper.

I recently attended an heirloom tomato class, where the chef recommended blending heirlooms that contrasted, both colorwise and texture-wise. The green variety here provided crunch and the others rich juiciness. Whereas I might have added cucumber for a little crunch, it was nice to keep is super simple!

4 Comments:

Blogger Beatrice said...

That's lovely and looks delicious. What did you serve it with?

10:14 AM  
Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

This is our idea of the perfect summer dinner, maybe with a bit of crusty bread. I make it by the platter-ful, with basil warm from the garden. Yum. Wish I grew heirloom tomatoes, too.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

beatrice - this was dinner! I soaked up the juices with a La Brea Italian white bread.

lydia - it really feels good to eat this dish! I have the most wonderful olive oil and the white balsamic tastes good to me!

p.s. tried the salad with Cotswold slivers - it really didn't work. The cheese overpowered the tomatoes and the texture was annoying.

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great looks,It looks really great.You add those things which i like.
Thanks!

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home