Google+

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Salt & Horseradish Crusted Beets


I have to say I was fascinated by this recipe from the Feb. 2008 Bon Appetite magazine for Salt-Crusted Beets. I couldn't quite imagine how they would taste. As I had a number of beets in my fridge looking for a cool new beet recipe, tonight I planned ahead and roasted my beets in a crust of kosher salt and prepared horseradish. I skipped the grated orange peel, but used fresh lemon thyme.

They looked so pretty and snow-covered before I put them in the oven to roast for 1 3/4 hours:


Not so pretty after:


The salt-horseradish-thyme combination creates a crust around the beets that can be cracked open like an egg shell (Happy Easter!):



Here's the pretty result:



The amazing thing was how the beets tasted. I peeled the beets and ate them straight up (skipping the creme fraiche topping) and they were absolutely superb. No hint of bitterness and perfectly salted with a light horseradish taste. Wow! If you like beets, you've really gotta try this!

8 Comments:

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Catherine those do look incredible. I love potatoes baked in salt. Must try this.

3:24 AM  
Blogger bazu said...

That's one of the most beautiful things I've seen in a very long time- definitely going on my must-make list!

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they look like strawberries.... erm, thats it!

2:41 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

T - one of my first reactions to tasting these delicious beets was that I had to try this with potatoes!

bazu - thankyou. I hop you love them!

Sam - yes, the chiggoa beet does look like a strawberry, but it didn't taste like one!

8:22 PM  
Blogger LisaRene said...

Very interesting idea! The cooking time seems extraordinary long, wonder if the beets get insulated from the salt?

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I adore beets. This looks very interesting.

9:20 AM  
Blogger VEGAN TICKLES said...

These look amazing.
I can't wait to try this recipe.
Thanks for introducing it to your readers.

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks like a lot of fun and sounds delicious. I wish I had read this before I pickled my whole harvest! Maybe next year.

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home