Google+

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Leek & Potato (& Vegetable) Soup


Yep, it's winter and I've been seeing some super soup postings:

  • Fat Free Vegan showcases soup as a way to watch your weight (works for me).

  • A Happy Chicken Tofu Noodle Soup recipe from Melomeals looks delicious and fragrant.

  • A Hearty Vegetable Soup with Orzo from 28 Cooks.

  • The Gracious Bowl always has the focus on soup.


  • Soup is definitely a great lunch for me when the jeans are feeling snug. Soup is a meal that is easy to make, easy to make low-cal, full of vitamins and fiber, and I love the meal-in-one-bowl thing (perfect for a pack lunch).

    I, alas, have one added reason that soup is especially good right now. It requires minimal chewing. I shan't burden you with my dental reality, but soup really is good food.

    This soup was super simple and completely delicious. Leeks, potatoes, carrots, red lentils and peas in vegetable broth. I cooked the leeks in a little butter along with olive oil. Can you believe I made a soup that doesn't have either dino kale or olives?

    This soup was very comforting. And leeks being associated with Wales, a sliver of tangy Tintern cheese on top, really was quite superb.

    Vegan? Just leave out the cheese and butter.

    4 Comments:

    Blogger Unknown said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    2:00 PM  
    Blogger MeloMeals said...

    I love leeks in soup.. and I never remember to buy them..

    Yay for one pot meals! Thanks for the link to my blog. :-)

    I hope your dental issues resolve soon.. those are no fun.

    9:30 AM  
    Blogger aTxVegn said...

    That's the first chunky style leek and potato soup I've seen and it is beautiful!

    I hope I find romanesco before its season is over.

    And happy blog birthday!

    11:35 AM  
    Blogger Catherine said...

    atxvegn - who needs another cream pureed leek and potato soup? I liked this one much better. Hope you find that romanesco! and cheers!

    Melody - I love leeks. I need more leek idea!

    7:33 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home