Google+

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Breadless, Big-Impact, Portobello Burger


I have to admit, I still need to lose a few winter pounds. With our suddenly sunny weather, it's been pretty easy to focus on fresh fruit and vegetables. But after a penitent day of apples, carrots, and cottage cheese, I was feeling... well... deprived.

As I fixed my super-svelte son a vegetarian cheese burger, I couldn't help thinking it looked awfully good. So tonight's breadless, big-impact burger was my dietary answer to your standard vegetarian burger.

I broiled a large portobello, brushed with balsamic vinegar, 2 minced garlic cloves, and the drippiest drop of olive oil, upside down for 4 minutes. Turned it right-side up, brushed again with the marinade and broiled 3 minutes. Blotted the juices with a paper towel and topped with 1 microwaved Morningstar sausage pattie (chopped) and two slices of tomato, brushed with the balsamic marindade. Seasoned and topped with a sliver of Humboldt Fog cheese. Grilled 45 seconds.

Served on top of a handful of spinach that I had poured boiling water over to wilt.

Healthy, low-cal, high-protein, and it felt indulgent.

5 Comments:

Blogger LisaRene said...

Humboldt Fog is a favorite cheese. I could be vegan aside from cheese, as I enjoy it so much with wine :)

Somethings you need something you can sink your teeth into, this looks ideal!

9:10 PM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

That looks so good!

6:35 AM  
Blogger allie aller said...

The sausage was a brilliant addition!

7:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

golly, if you need to lose a few pounds, enidd needs to lose an arm and a leg. or, ideally, a belly and an arse. burger looks yummy, even for those of us who eat the cow.

6:10 AM  
Blogger Marc said...

Your breadless sandwich reminds me of one of the funny bits from the amazing TV show "30 Rock," the Tracy Jordan Meat Machine. The slogan -- "Meat is the new bread!" -- could easily be adapted to "Mushrooms are the new bread!"

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home