Google+

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Spicy Tomato & Cucumber Gazpacho with Arugula Pesto


Finally, I've made a gazpacho I like!

After having a very delicious gazpacho shot at Piccolo's in Larkspur (last summer), I've tried a few times to make gazpacho, but it's harder to make than it seems. I've always really wanted to like gazpacho since I saw the film "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" (you know, that English reservedness can get old). So now I've done it! Spicy with a slight melon flavor.
Abbondanza!

Anway, even without the roasted red peppers that appear to be M.I.A., this was delicious. I used two sundried tomatoes that were a take-home from my Millennium tomato class (I didn't make them, but at a guess, they're roasted tomatoes with garlic, rosemary, sage, and fennel seeds in oil), 1/2 cup of A.G. Ferrari's Freschissima (Chopped Tomato Sauce), one peperoncini piccanti (seeded), 1/3 of an English cucumber (peeled), 2 Tbsp red wine, 1/2 slice of cantalope (cubed) ,and an unmeasured amount of water to get the right consistency. Put the lot in the blender and "Ecco!" Topped with arugula pesto and a fresh basil leaf this was the perfect combination for a hot summer's evening: spicy and refreshing!

5 Comments:

Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Cantaloupe! What a great idea, especially now when the melons are super-sweet. I've been pretty happy with my own gazpacho version, which is a bit more traditional, but next time I'll toss in a bit of melon and see what happens.

5:16 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Gazpacho is one of my summer favorites, but this summer passed me by before I could make any. I'm envious. And I love the idea of arugula pesto. I see it plays into the beet salad as well!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Rachael said...

I'm very curious about Gazpacho. I've never had it, since I have a strong aversion to fresh tomato flavor. But everybody else seems to love it, and your beautiful photos make it look yummy!

7:09 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

I just made a gazpacho I think you might like too.

will be my next post up probably

xx

10:37 AM  
Blogger LisaRene said...

Very creative gazpacho, sounds wonderful. When I make it my secret ingredient is vodka!

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home