Google+

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Kale & White Bean Soup


This week has me infused with a strong sense of transition. Is that fall I'm sensing in the air?

This morning I decided I needed a fluffy spa robe with matching slippers. Last night, I brought out the movie-watching blankets. Tonight, choppin' firewood. (OK, now I'm exaggerating).

But I do have a sudden sense of wanting to hibernate and keep a low-profile.

So tonight's dish is a transitional soup recipe: a combination of summer elements (white beans & tomato broth) and fall (my beloved dinosaur kale, potatoes, and sweet carrots) with rosemary flavors (with rosemary, my yard runneth over.)

This was a perfect supper with a glass of Barbera d'Alba Red. And, who's betting it'll be even better tomorrow.

Kale & White Bean Soup:
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 large onion, finely diced
1 large garlic clove, minced
4 dutch baby potatoes, diced
1 carrot, sliced, then halved
2 -1/2 cups vegetable broth ( I use TJ's)
2-1/2 cups water
1/2 cup tomato sauce/puree (I used A. G. Ferrari's Freschissima.)
sea salt & pepper
sprig rosemary, leaves only, finely chopped
1/2 bunch dinosaur kale (stalks removed, torn, cleaned)
2/3 cup white beans (cooked al dente)
red pepper flakes

Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium low. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes until softening. Add the garlic, turn down, and continue to cook for several minutes, not letting the garlic brown.

Add the potato, cover, and cook for 4-5 minutes over medium low, stirring occasionally. Add the carrot, cover, and cook 3-4 minutes longer. Add the vegetable broth, water, tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer, add the tomato sauce, salt & pepper, and chopped rosemary. Simmer until the potatoes are almost tender. Add the dinosaur kale, white beans, and red pepper flakes. Simmer for 5 minutes. Check seasoning and serve!

2 Comments:

Blogger Dani Spies said...

I love, love, love kale and white bean soup...you're recipe sounds delicious...can't wait to curl up under a blanket and try some;)

8:55 AM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

That's totally one of my snuggly season soups.
Mm.
And. Cranky and I are seriously talking about moving a bed into our family room with the fireplace (the room with the glass door that goes onto the patio).
Choppin' firewood for real!! (And so close to the kitchen, heh.)
xx

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home