Google+

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Tempeh Bacon-Wrapped Portobello with Baba Ghanoush



I really love the smaller stuffing portobellos, available in a sweet six pack at Trader Joe's. Such a juicy, sexy, versatile two-bite mouthful!

Tonight's variant was incredible (and vegan)! Broiled portobellos, stuffed with baba ghanoush, wrapped in smoky tempeh bacon, and topped with cilantro and black sesame seeds. Wow!

I used Afi brand's amazing Baba Ghanoush (thanks to Margaret for inspiring me to try Baba Ghanoush again), and Lightlife's Smoky Tempeh Strips to wrap. This smoky version may be my favorite to date.

Here's some other previously explored possibilities:

  • Portobellos Stuffed with Black Beans, Cheddar, and Guacamole


  • Farro-Stuffed Portabellos with Eggplant & Cacio di Bosco al Tartufo


  • Portobellos Stuffed with Potatoes, Leeks, Cheddar, & Chard
  • 8 Comments:

    Blogger Christine said...

    And what a beautiful two-bite mouthful it is!! I'm saving this one for when my vegan kids visit. Thanks, Catherine.

    8:52 PM  
    Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

    I love those TJ's portobellos, too. Topping them with baba ghanoush is a wonderful idea.

    4:24 AM  
    Blogger Susan Voisin said...

    Great idea! It's making me hungry just thinking about it.

    8:47 AM  
    Blogger cookiecrumb said...

    You are seriously sliding into veganism, Catherine!

    10:31 AM  
    Blogger margaret said...

    Ooooh. So glad I could inspire!

    Unfortunately, I am one of those poor people who really just doesn't like mushrooms. Trust me, it's not from lack of trying (I eat some every single time I get the opportunity, just hoping that maybe something will have changed). But I gotta tell you that even with my dislike of mushrooms ... this looks fantastic!

    6:11 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That would look pretty hilarious served next to Edamame in an Edible Tofu Bowl!

    9:04 AM  
    Blogger Dr. Melissa West said...

    Wow, what a super sexy entree!

    6:35 PM  
    Blogger Sam said...

    that is awesome. i am right now enjoying a vegan lunch of which you would be proud and it is utterly delicious - tomato tapenade (the no anchovy variety) basil, avocado and wholewheat pitta. I love summer.

    1:43 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home