Google+

Friday, August 10, 2007

Green Cauliflower & Olive Capellini


So tonight, I skipped the heirloom tomato caprese (that I've been eating almost every night for weeks) for this pretty and very simple capellini pasta with green cauliflower, garlic, pesto, feta, and kalamata olives.

I found the green cauliflower on special as I searched high and low for sea beans (apparently, there's been a recent local "rush" on sea beans as I'm told by everyone that they're "sold out". Locals...even Berkeley Bowl.) I wonder what this means...

Anyway, despite my sudden Tofu-inspired interest in vegan and raw food, perhaps it means I should actually cook something for myself.

I've always loved cauliflower, and usually think of eating it with a powerhouse cheese sauce. Here, however, I sauteed the green cauliflower with garlic and olive oil, and tossed it with cook capellini, pesto, sliced kalamata olives, and topped with a little feta (optional).

Light, tasty and well-partnered with a glass of Chiati and La Brea's awesome Organic Wheat bread.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sea Beans are available, in plenty, free, at the Shorebird Marsh. I'll give you directions if you like. Walk through the marsh and you'll see tons of them on either side of the path by the water. They're known to naturalists as "pickleweed".

11:49 PM  
Blogger winedeb said...

Dish looks lovely and I bet the flavors are great. Love the green cauliflower. Sea Beans - we have the in Key West but I have never tried them. I look forward to a recipe from you and then I will give them a go.

8:00 AM  
Blogger bazu said...

That's beautiful! Your comment about cauliflower and cheese reminded me that I made a (most unseasonable yet satisfying) vegan mac & cheese last night. If you're ever jonesing, this recipe really hit that certain je ne sais quoi umame cheese spot! (mac & cheese recipe from the New Farm Vegetarian cookbook)

11:16 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

HI VK - I hear there are "pollution" issues, but I might try this.

Wine deb - check out: http://www.veganmenu.blogspot.com/ for recipes

Bazu - thanks!

7:46 PM  
Blogger K Allrich said...

Looks lovely and perfect for summer. Beautiful!

Karina

10:47 PM  
Blogger Michael Natkin said...

That looks great! The green cauliflower is so beautiful. I've been really into oven-roasting (white) cauliflower with olive oil until it gets some nice brown caramelized bits, and then serving it with rice and yogurt sauce.

Michael Natkin
The Vegetarian Foodie Blog

7:00 AM  
Blogger Rachael said...

Oooh this looks yummy! I've been very curious about green cauliflower but I've never bought any. Does it taste the same as the normal stuff?

10:02 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

that IS pretty.
Has a great roasted cauliflowe dish with capers at Nua the other night.

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home