Google+

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Caprese Towers : Vegan & Vegetarian



OK. So I can't get away from the heirloom tomato capreses and the vegetable tower concept! It is still summer after all, and a time to kick-back and play with the summer produce and "cook" as little as possible. Right?

So, the vegan (top) and vegetarian version look quite similar, but the vegan version lacked protein and a certain wow (the white layer is mushroom), although it was good. I added some baba ganoush post-pic, but now I'm thinking basil hummus or some macadamia nut cheese, if I ever get around to making it, or macadamia nut butter. So I compromised and just ate the macadamias on the side. As Sweetpea (7 going on 12) likes to say, "works for me."

6 Comments:

Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

The vegan version is lovely, but without cheese, can it really be a caprese? I have all of the components for the vegetarian version in my kitchen right now, so I will make my own little tower for lunch.

2:40 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Lydia - not "really" a caprese without some version of cheese.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Yum! I definitely prefer the vegetarian version as I love cheese! But then I also love mushrooms, so I am torn! Oh well, maybe a bit of both!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Noah Oliphant said...

I'm addicted to heirloom tomatoes right now. I live in Alabama and the tomato season was pretty late this year. I love to do stacks of green, yellow, and pink heirlooms with fresh basil, goat cheese, and a simple homemade vinagarette. Check out my other recipes here:

reciperate.com

4:40 PM  
Blogger bazu said...

You have inspired me- veggie caprese towers, here I come! That first photo had me fooled- the mushroom looks *so* much like buffalo mozzarela- I will have to steal that idea some time soon.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Thomas Andrew said...

The presentation looks great. Looks like an appetizer I had once at this local Italian restaurant. Gotta love fresh tomatoes !

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home