Google+

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Linguini with Peas, Chives, & Pine Nuts



Another pretty spring pasta dish!

I can't resist the organic English Peas from our local Farmers Market. They're so sweet and perfect, it's hard not to just eat them right out of the shell. So, while they're in season, I'm looking for new pea dishes and combinations.

I really enjoyed the combination of peas, chives, and pine nuts with linguini. The taste was pure freshness, the chives adding a depth of flavor without taking anything away from the peas. The pine nuts taste and crunchiness provided a complimentary treat, and slivers of Goat Gouda added a little creaminess to a dish that only used the minimum amount of olive oil as a sauce.
The resulting dish was fresh, light, and lush.

So, any favorite pea compliments? Any unexpectedly successful pea pairings? I'd love to hear about them in the comments.

7 Comments:

Blogger Simple Veggie said...

I use peas in one of my favorite pastas.
I slice tempeh, and saute it with garlic, then add peas, asparagus, and white wine. i let the wine reduce, and add some slightly under cooked small sea shell pasta & Parmesan. I'm working on a post about it over at http://simpleveggie.blogspot.com/ i've been out of town for 2 weeks, but i should start posting again soon. ^_^

12:12 PM  
Blogger Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I haven't tried this I hasten to add, but I heard you can make a pea pesto by substituting the basil for cooked peas and it is supposed to be very tasty! Don't quote me on that one!
Holler
http://tinnedtomatoes.blogspot.com

3:19 PM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Vurrrry beautiful.
I had a pea-pasta dish a couple of days ago, and it was divine. (Mine had smoked salmon in it, so no recipe for you!)
Here's an idea. In fact, I blogged this one a couple of years ago when I first started this crazy habit. And we ate it again recently so I believe I'll blog it again.
Chopped, warm hard-cooked eggs, hot cooked peas, and melted butter. All in one bowl. Smush, swirl, eat.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

simple veggie: that's sounds great! I'm sure peas, asparagus, and garlic are an awesome combo. Love the tempeh addition.

holler: that's a new one on me, I'd love to give it a try.

cookie - eggs and peas have to really work. Now I'm thinking pea and asparagus frittata with green garlic. Talk about seasonal (and budget).

10:24 PM  
Blogger winedeb said...

One of my favorite Spring Pea dishes is risotto with peas and fresh asparagus. I use my basic risotto recipe and add the other two ingredients. Sometimes I sprinkle extra cheese and chives on top. Yours looks great, I will try!

7:14 AM  
Blogger Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Just saw a good pasta recipe over at Anne's Food that you might all like! It is a Pasta with Avocado & Cashew Pesto!
Holler

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ricotta... fresh ricotta... so amazing (paired with any other green springy thing)

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home