Google+

Friday, March 30, 2007

Spring Vegetable Plate


This may be my prettiest dinner yet!

Steamed organic yellow carrots, snap peas, kholrabi, and red carrots, topped with roasted Chioggia Beets. Served with butter, salt, and a side of prepared horseradish.

Interestingly, the yellow carrots were sweet like a carrot, but had the texture of a parsnip. My dear father-in-law turned me on to kholrabi. He loves it peeled and raw, but I steamed it here. I hadn't quite removed all of the stringy green peel - make sure you do! The red carrots were sweet and beets were earthy and delicious.

It doesn't get much better than this!

10 Comments:

Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Catherine, that is a beautiful sight! Amazing colors and textures.

4:28 AM  
Blogger bazu said...

SO beautiful. Can't stop looking at it.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

I love kohlrabi! I have fond memories of my parents growing it, years and years ago when no one had even heard of it yet.

7:49 AM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

I am SOOOOO jealous of your produce.

It looks just sublime.

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What beautiful produce!

Courtney

12:29 PM  
Blogger winedeb said...

Oh so pretty ! I was just on annecooks and she is doing the same thing. I told her about your site. You can check out my breakfast wine today on my site. Have fun and keep up the nice spring ideas!

6:44 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Thanks to all.

winedeb - thanks for the tip on Anne's website!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Catherine - this is making me wish for the real start of spring in NYC... what a beautiful bounty!

6:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Catherine!

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very pretty!

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home