Google+

Monday, February 19, 2007

Dinosaur Kale & Jalapeno Soup


Another hot recipe, this Dinosaur Kale & Jalapeno Soup will certainly warm you up! It doesn't have to be burning hot, though, just adjust the amount of jalapenos.

This recipe was created to use up a bunch of dinosaur kale before taking a mini-break with the kids to see my Mum in Aptos. (It's ski week, but we hope to hit the beach.) It's a brothy, flavorful soup, light, and great for a diet. Perfect for cold season, not only does it clear out the sinuses, but the beautiful dark kale is an excellent source of Vitamins C, K, & A as well as calcium and fiber. So this recipe is my contribution to Sweetnick's ARF Tuesday.

And, yes, I do know I'm using a lot of recipes with dinosaur kale and jalapenos.

Dinosaur Kale & Jalapeno Soup

3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 large garlic cloves minced
6 baby potatoes, diced
1/4 head cauliflower, cut into small florettes
1 tsp cumin
a dash of chili powder
16 oz vegetable broth
1/2- 1 cup water
2-3 tbsp chopped jalapenos (my were from a jar)
1 bunch dinosaur kale, ribbed and torn
S & P

Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and cook the onion for 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 2 additional minutes. Add the potatoes, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Add the cauliflower, cover and cook for 3 additional minutes. Add the cumin, chili powder, vegetable broth, water and jalapenos. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Add the dinosaur kale, season, and cook until kale is just tender.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soup with a kick! Sounds great.

5:10 AM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Really nice. Superb photo, too.

8:26 AM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

Looks delicious.. I will definitely make this..

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks amazing, and I'm nearly certain that it would convince my boyfriend to eat kale... but could you let me know what distinguishes dinosaur kale from other kale? Would any type work?
Thanks!

11:38 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

tanya,
I find dino kale to be much more tender and flavorful than other kales. I haven't had much luck with ornamental kale (much dryer, with curly leaf tips), so I wouldn't recommend that. Dino kale is juicier than other kales - I'd definitely go for this one if you can!

10:09 AM  
Blogger A Few Reservations said...

Nice to find you, too. And that kale looks fantastic!

10:32 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Wonderful! I am always telling my readers at my blog to eat kale. But it can get a little boring. The addition of jalapeno is so unique! Yum and thanks from the bloggers at www.marksdailyapple.com.

Have you tried kale with swiss (melted)? It's a dynamite combination.

Cheers!

1:38 PM  
Blogger Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

I LOVE the recipe - and the blog... glad I came by, I'll have to check it out more regularly!

My Dino Kale is still growing like mad out in the garden space, another recipe to use the stuff up is always welcome!

10:09 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Sara & fairly odd tofu mom (love that handle): Welcome and thanks for commenting! This was a hot combo!

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the fact that your soup is not overcooked, very healthy and with a nice zing to it. Beautiful photograph as well!

5:04 AM  
Blogger DESINC said...

I just made this for the first time...
I loved it, and my friend did too - we served it with some buttered baguette and topped w/ parmesan cheese. My girlfriend HATED it though :\ I guess it was a little too spicy for her. In my opinion, the jalapeno spice only hits you in the front of the mouth, and not that much, so it's not too bad.
Yummy!!! I definitely want to make this again, but I probably won't because my girlfriend would get upset.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This was delicious! And any single recipe that uses so many items from my farmshare box in a given week - potatoes, dinosaur kale and cauliflower - is a winner! I used serranos because that's what I have, which probably changed the spice character.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home