Google+

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Buddha's Hand


Call me weird, but here's a fruit I feel like worshiping: a Buddha's Hand. If only the Internet had an olfactory feature, you might join me. The glorious smell of this golden citrus is so pure...so perfect. It's a treasure I want to share.

In China, the fruit symbolizes happiness, wealth, and longevity and is used as a fragrant centerpiece or temple offering. It is especially popular at New Year's as it is "believed to bestow good fortune on a household" (Source: Flavor & Fortune). So for all of you who (like me) had a challenging 2006, I'd like to share this symbol of good fortune with you for 2007.

Will I actually use the fingers for cooking? Right now, I can't really imagine cutting one off without an accompanying sense of desecration. But can I let the opportunity pass untasted? Surely not.

This is the largest Buddha's Hand I've ever seen. In the picture below, I am holding it in my hand with Mt. Tam in the background.

13 Comments:

Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Catherine, I've never seen one of these! What will you do with it?

8:07 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Lydia - Honestly, its smells so good I don't think I need to do anything with it! It's used for lemon zest and candied citron, and in vodka (OK -this I might have to try). Stay tuned!

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been on a 'strange fruit' binge lately (today I posted on cherimoya), I've been eyeing this one to blog about, but you've beat me to it!

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! Not just the fruit but the Mt.Tam behind it is out of this world!Oh! your hand too!Hee Hee!

Enjoy the fruit of GOD!:)(Shiva, in my case!)

7:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ooh, I want one!

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely Buddha's Hand Catherine and beautiful photos too!
I once sat in on a chef's cooking class where he used a BH to flavor braised lamb shanks. I have the recipe somewhere, and if I can find it and a BH up here, I'll post it.

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I have never heard of that before.. it looks really interesting.. I'm going to see if I can find one here... we don't have the best produce selection in new hamsphrire.

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is absolutely gorgeous! I'm so extremely jealous to not have one of those!

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I've never seen or even heard of this fruit before. It's beautiful! What does it taste like?

6:28 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

"isn't it immortal?" (Brideshead Revisited).

I love it, but I haven't tasted it yet.

Melody - where in NH? We have friends there and it sounds like my kinda place.

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We found one of these when I was in Seattle over Thanksgiving. It is really a fascinating food. Yours is a fantastic example!

3:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is an amazing one. Here's one from Auckland.
http://winosandfoodies.typepad.com/my_weblog/2006/08/buddhas_hand_ci.html#

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw the Buddha hand for the first time the other night in a new grocery store that has just opened up. I have never smelt anything like this. It just has an aroma that makes your mouth water. My problem is I can't find any recipes to use it in. If anyone has a recipe please post it.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home