Google+

Friday, December 01, 2006

Chickpea Crepes with Roasted Vegetable Curry


I love Indian food. My best friend is Indian-English so I learned a lot about wonderful Indian cooking from her. This recipe for chickpea crepes, however, is from Myra Kornfeld's The Voluptuous Vegan. Move over papadums, these crepes were a crisp and delicious shell to a roasted vegetable Korma curry.

The chickpea crepes were super easy to make (adapted from The Voluptuous Vegan):
1/2 cup chickpea flour
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup water
1 tbsp snipped chives

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl then add the olive oil and water. Blend with an immersion blender for 2 minutes. Add the chives and let the batter rest for 20 minutes.

For the roasted vegetable filling:
1/2 cauliflower, cut into florettes
1 Japanese eggplant, cut on the diagonal
1 cup cherry tomatoes
6 cloves garlic
1-2 tbsp olive oil
salt
7 oz chickpeas, drained and rinsed

Heat the oven at 375 and combine the vegetables (excluding the chickpeas), olive oil, and salt. Roast for 25 minutes. Add the chickpeas, stir, and roast an additional 10 minutes.

The complete recipe:

Lightly oil a skillet and use 1/4 of the batter to create a pancake over medium high heat. Cook until bubbles appear and edges of the pancake come away easily from the edge of the pan. Flip and cook 2-3 minutes. Place on a plate in a 200 oven to keep warm. Repeat until you have 4 pancakes.

Chop 1/2 onion finely and cook in 1 tbsp olive oil along with a generous shake of cumin and coriander seeds. Add the roasted vegetable and 7 oz of Trader Joe's Korma Simmer Sauce. Cook gently for 8-10 minutes.

Serve the curry in the chickpea pancakes with a spoonful of plain yogurt and 4 slices of cucumber.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have used The Voluptuous Vegan for years and never noticed this recipe. Your interpretation looks delicious! Your praises for The Real Food Daily Cookbook also encouraged me to finally try something from it. I made the Curried Yellow Split Pea Soup this week and it was outstanding. Thank you for the inspiration, Catherine!

6:51 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi gaja - I really loved these chickpea crepes. I will be making them a lot and trying all sorts of fillings! Kornfeld's cauliflower/chickpea filling is a mushroom stew with lemon and dill flavorings rather than Indian flavors. She also uses them with simple grilled spring vegetables. The possibilities are endless.

I'm glad you are enjoying the Real Food Daily cookbook. I haven't tried the soup recipe yet - now I must! All the recipes I've tried have turned out much better than I imagined. I'm very impressed.

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home