Google+

Monday, December 18, 2006

Borscht and Happy Hanukkah



This wonderful and delicious Borscht recipe goes out to honor my in-laws, who are celebrating Hanukkah. This is a humble dish, made of root vegetables and cabbage. I love it's simplicity, restraint, and beautiful color. As I had pretty purple kale, I added it into this recipe. If you're not using kale, you can reduce the frying time to 5 minutes.

Happy Hanukkah!

I used all purple varieties:


This purple soup is my contribution to this week's Sweetnicks ARF/5-A-Day Tuesday (ARF=Antioxidant Rich Food)

Borscht
3 medium red beets, peeled and cubed
3 purple potatoes, peeled and cubed
5 cups water
salt
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp butter
1/2 small purple cabbage, chopped
1 bunch purple ornamental kale

Place the beets, potato, and salt in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Melt the butter in a large skillet and fry the onion for 5 minutes. Add the cabbage and kale, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add to the potato mixture and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Adjust the seasoning and serve.

5 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Hip, hip, hooray for purple food!
(That is such a simple, elegant recipe.)

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, there's something green in your borscht! This would make some of my relatives argue with it being called "borscht" ;-P Looks very very tasty. I like my borscht hot but my mom prefers it cold.

Happy Chanukah to you!

11:37 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

btbay - it's not very green ;-)
I've never had borscht cold. This was hot and very tasty!

cookie - I'm really on a color thing!

6:24 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Hey Catherine - I was thinking of making a borscht. I've never tried it! Seems this time of year all I want to eat are soups and yours looks fantastic. Instead of the kale you could use the beet greens if you're lucky enough to find beets with the tops still attached. I'm a sucker for being frugal!

6:51 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Vanessa, it's so good! My beet greens were in a sad state or I would have included them too! Great idea!

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home