Google+

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Black Bean & Sweet Potato Stew


Here's a simple, seasonal, and attractive dish to warm you up on a cold night: Black Bean & Sweet Potato Stew. This tasty stew is full of fiber, color, protein and vitamins to ward off the wintry chills and give you plenty of energy. If you love Mexican flavors, give this one a try!

Black Bean & Sweet Potato Stew:

1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
1 small potato, peeled and cut into chunks
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
1 pepper (red or yellow), seeded and chopped
3 leaves chard, ribbed and torn
1/4 cup red wine
1/2 cup salsa (I use Pace)
6-8 Spanish olives, quartered
15 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained

Parboil the potato and sweet potato until almost tender. Drain and set aside.

Heat the oil in a skillet and cook the onions and garlic for 4-5 minutes. Add the jalapeno and pepper and cook another 4-5 minutes. Add the chard leaves and stir fry for 1 minute. Add the wine and cook 1 minute. Add the salsa, olives, sweet potatoes and black beans and cook for 8-10 minutes.

Serve with homemade salsa and chips.

10 Comments:

Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Love the sound of this, and I agree with your recommendation for Pace brand salsa.

5:46 AM  
Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I love black beans and sweet potatoes, and I make a very similar chili with them. Never thought to add the chard, though -- will try it!

6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the recipe.
i absolutely love the colors of the recipe! yum

6:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great colors that seem to be on my taste buds!

8:03 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi all, thanks for your comments. Sweet potatoes do have the most wonderful color - I'm hooked. The chard was really fab in this dish, it really stands up to the beans and potatoes.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Hey Catherine - I think sweet potatoes and black beans are one of my favorite combinations! Add some greens (collards, kale, or spinach) and I'm a happy, antioxidant-filled lady. I made a Chipotle Sweet Potato and Black Bean Casserole recently that I highly recommend.

6:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just looking at this picture makes me unbearably hungry.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Vanessa - great recipe. I love the masa crust! They are a great combo!

Thanks BTB!

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This would be fabulous over some brown rice. Hmm, I could also see this dish with hummus instead of salsa. I was also thinking of substituting the olives for raisins since they are small and would go nicely with dark greens and sweet potatoes (we dislike olives here) but I'm not sure if I should use white/green or purple/brown raisins - thoughts?

Anyways, how long did you need to parboil the potatoes? Did you put them in the same pot? I usually roast mine in the oven - or would roasting work? Also, did you ever put the potatoes in the same skillet as the rest of the ingredients to finish cooking (if so, when?)?

1:57 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Anon,

Thanks for pointing out an error in my recipe, which I've corrected. The sweet potatoes were added with the black beans.

I'm one of those people that hates raisins in savory dishes so I can't advise you there.

Good luck with your variations.

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home