Google+

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Baby Kiwis



So look what I found at Trader Joe's — baby kiwis!

I'd never heard of these before. They're tiny grape-sized kiwis with an smooth, edible skin.

That's a red grape in the top right for scale.

I have to say they're delicious, very sweet, and a lot less work that regular fuzzy kiwis.
According to Specialty Produce.com, baby kiwis (a.k.a. hardy kiwi, dessert kiwi, or cocktail kiwi) are grown in Oregon and available in Sept./Oct. Originally from New Zealand, Hurst's Berry Farm in Oregon was the first to produce these commercially in the U.S. According to the International Society for Horticultural Science, baby kiwi vines "have the reputation of being difficult to manage, (because) the fruit ripen irregularly on the vine and the storage life and shelf life of the fruit is limited." Bravo to Hurst's Berry Farms for their tender hand-harvesting of these yummy fruits!

While these are fabulous to eat just as they are, Hurst's Berry Farm provides some baby kiwi recipes on their website. They also produce red currants and gooseberries! Is there a gooseberry fool in my future?

9 Comments:

Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I am going to Trader Joe's right away -- these look amazing! I love both kiwis and grapes, so what could be better than a mini-kiwi?!

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow that's unbelievable. The color looks like mango apple that can be found in Thailand and Malaysia. Wow! I'm heading Trader Joe's tonight!

3:38 PM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

TJ's. Dang, what a resource.

5:19 PM  
Blogger Cyndi said...

wow! Now I have to go back to TJ's!

8:28 PM  
Blogger Susan Voisin said...

How cute! I wish there were any chance at all that they'd show up here, but I'm not holding my breath.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those look totally amazing! Like kiwis that went to the salon and got waxed ;-P I will have to see if my local TJ's has them...

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey wait.. you're local! Excellent. Then I will probably have no problem finding these babies (I'm in Oakland). Lovely blog, btw. I've added it to my daily feeds that I read.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Grab them while you can folks! They're yummy!

8:02 PM  
Blogger funwithyourfood said...

ok you're the 4th person i've seen post about these. now i need to get them

teddy

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home