Google+

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Sweet Potato Leaf-Rice Casserole



I'm definitely sweet on sweet potato leaves and lucky to have access to them at my local Farmer's Market.

This adaption of Moosewood's Spinach-Rice Casserole substituted the sweet potato leaves for spinach. I reduced the eggs from 4 to 2 and the milk from 1 cup to 1/2 to lighten and reduce the custard. Sweet potato leaves have a slightly nutty flavor, so I used 1/2 cup each of Fontina and Jarlsberg cheeses (vs. 1-1/2 cups grated cheddar), to accentuate the mild nuttiness. I have to say, I much preferred this version to the original.

Sweet Potato Leaf-Rice Casserole:
3 cups cooked rice
4 cups sweet potato leaves
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup Fontina, grated
1/2 cup Jarlsberg, grated
Salt & Pepper
cayenne pepper, as desired
sunflower seeds to top

Preheat the oven to 350.

Heat the olive oil in a skillet and saute the onions until softened. Add the garlic and sweet potato leaves and saute for 4 minutes. Remove from heat.

Beat together the eggs and milk. Add the cooked rice, egg mixture, and cheese (reserving some cheese for top) to the leaves and stir gently until well combined. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper (I used several generous shakes of cayenne and loved it!).

Spread mixture into a greased casserole dish and top with reserved cheese and sunflower seeds.

Bake for about 25 minutes.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks great...

I still haven't seen the sweet potato leaves here... what a shaem.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Alanna Kellogg said...

I have SO got to stopping here when I'm already hungry ... good spinach replacement BTW.

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cery unusual Catherine! Looks lovely, I'll have to look out for potato leaves. I certainly havent seen them here yet!

11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home