Google+

Friday, August 11, 2006

Squash Blossom Pizza


Go ahead, give me grief for posting another pizza recipe! The great thing about pizza is ... variety! Heck, people eat sandwiches everyday, don't they?

The truth is, I have a bit of a crush on squash blossoms right now. I love discovering new veggies and, well, I have squash blossoms on my mind. Particularly, on my pizza mind, especially since Catherine over at Food Musings raved about Coco500's squash blossom flatbread. So Catherine was kind enough to provide a description of the pizza and I then took a few liberties to create the yummy pizza you see above.

I took a Trader Joe's plain pizza dough, covered it with grated mozzarella, and baked at 450 for 5 minutes. I then added the squash blossoms, which I had lightly sauted with olive oil and minced garlic, and slivers of Cowgirl Creamery's Mount Tam cheese. I baked the pizza for 5 minutes more, then drizzled it with Trader Joe's Black Truffle Oil and sprinkled it with sea salt.

I loved this pizza, particularly the just-right-garlicy succulent squash blossoms. The truffle oil added depth without too earthy a taste. I chowed victoriously, until hubby said he loved the pizza except for the gummy squash blossoms. Gummy? To me, they were tasty and succulent - gorgeous! I happily took the last squash blossom from his pizza and feasted upon it.

I served this fab pizza with sliced Heirloom tomatoes with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Perfect.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks divine but I see no squash blossoms in my garden or the stores.

7:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in St,. Louis and I've never seen them either.

7:51 AM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

Looks so good..

10:10 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

tanna and jo,

I've only found these beauties at the farmers markets, not in stores (although I do have one in the back yard).

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tanna, jo ... you'll just need to come to Northern California to experience things like fresh squah blossoms.

Though I wasn't crazy about them on _pizza_ -- I'm cautious about exotic pizza toppings -- Catherine's fried squash blossoms (see below) were amazing.

--Hubby

10:30 PM  
Blogger missienelly said...

Oh my....I'm starving now! Thanks for awesome recipes :) very refreshing!!!

11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been hearing so many fab things about this flatbread, but now I can make it at home instead of having to go to the restaurant. Your site is beautiful and I love your photos and recipes - very enticing!

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is highly original! Never seen that before.

2:43 AM  
Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I've gotten a couple of bottles of truffle oil as gifts, and never seem to use it, but this recipe sounds wonderful and your photos make it irresistible. I love it when squash blossoms arrive at the farmers' market every summer.

4:04 AM  
Blogger Rossana Rocchini said...

OK - I am Italian and grew up eating squash blossoms (we called them fiori di zucca) every summer... as I left Italy I realized you can't really buy them many places in the US (pretty much nowhere in Atlanta, GA) so every spring I plant my own zucchini plants and enjoy the blossoms. They grow overnight meaning you can have a few every day and I loved them fried, on pizza, or stuffed with cheese. Rossana

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home