Google+

Friday, August 18, 2006

Garlicy Mushrooms with Pasta , Parsley & Pine nuts


Garlicy mushrooms are the main attraction in this simple pasta dish. Green parsley adds leafy texture and that attractive speckled look and toasted pine nuts add crunch. To make this simple dish special, I topped it with Piacentinu di Enna, a lovely Italian cheese, made from sheep's milk, yellowed with saffron, and studded with black peppercorns. A dry cheese with a mild flavor, until you hit a hot peppercorn - pow!

All the nutritional guides say the same thing: eat as many mushrooms as you can 'cos they're so good for you. Happily, I like them raw, simply as they are or sliced in a salad. But, in the many cookbooks I've been reading, I note a lack of interesting recipes for plain white mushrooms (vs. portobellos or fancy wild etc). All the recipes seem to have the same partners: walnuts, red wine, tomato sauce, cream, blue cheese. So, I invite your comments on your favorite partners or dish for the humble white mushroom.

Of course, garlic is an excellent partner!

Garlicy Mushrooms with Pasta , Parsley & Pinenuts

6-8oz pasta
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
8 oz white mushrooms, wiped and sliced
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 tbsp pine nuts
1 tsp truffle oil (optional)
s & p
cheese & chives to top (optional)

While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a skillet and cook the onion gently for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook over medium heat until the mushrooms are browned and have released their juices. Add the parsley and pine nuts and cook 2 minutes. Drain the cooked pasta and add it to the skillet with the truffle oil, stirring gently until the pasta is evenly covered with mushrooms and parsley. Season and serve topped with cheese and snippets of chives.

3 Comments:

Blogger MeloMeals said...

That looks lovely.

I love white mushrooms sauted and brown and crispy is just a bit of olive oil with fresh thyme, red pepper flakes and lots of garlic. At the end I like to deglaze the pan with a splash of good balsamic vinegar. These are amazing on pizza, on veggie burgers, in fajitas or over oven baked tofu..
I also use this as a base for mushroom gravy (I just add flour, veg stock and a tiny bit of soy sauce and nutritional yeast.. and then some fresh sage at the end)

They're also good whole and roasted with the above spice mixes... oh and in mushroom/seitan stroganoff and "cream of mushroom" soup.

Can you tell I like them too?

1:18 PM  
Blogger Susan Voisin said...

I didn't realize I was hungry until I saw this. Now I'm craving garlicy mushrooms!

4:31 PM  
Blogger Alanna Kellogg said...

I don't think of mushrooms as nutritious?? Fiber, yes, plant, yes, no carb no fat, yes, so good filler, yes. But vitamins? minerals? But I'm with Susan, nutrition be damned, I'll take a plate of garlicky mushrooms NOW, please. Please?

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home