Google+

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Tomato & Cheese Tarte



Another fabulous and easy way to enjoy mouthfuls of summer veggies is the simple, yet elegant tarte.

I made two tartes, both with those gorgeous Old German Heirloom tomatoes, one with fresh mozzarella and the other with Cowgirl Creamery's Mt. Tam goat cheese. For the mozzarella tarte, I added some pesto and pine nuts. Both were heavenly!

I used a frozen puff pastry sheet (thawed for 40 minutes at room temp.), cut it into three, and turned in about 1/4" of each side to create a border. I spread one tarte with pesto and then layered slices of tomato and cheese. Topped with a little salt and pepper, here's how they looked before baking:



I baked the tartes at 400 for about 15 minutes and added thin strips of basil to the mozzarella version after baking.

We enjoyed these with a spinach and raspberry salad and a nice pinot noir. Highly portable, these make a great picnic item and, being open to endless variations, are easy to make your own.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm smitten. I'd like a little spinach between the cheese and tomato slices...Oh, maybe I should try that myself.
These look sooo good!

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just made a tomato tatin tart last night. Your recipe sounds delicious!

9:58 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

I've had this pastry in the freezer for some time, wondering what I would do with it. Now I know. Thanks for the lovely recipes.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Those pieces of mozzarella are making me drool. I am not vegetatrian, but who ever said that vegetarian food was boring, no way!
Any diet that lets you eat carbs is great in my opinion.

2:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks fantastic!

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home