Google+

Friday, July 14, 2006

Pink Lady: A smoothie with Watermelon


Nothing says sweet and refreshing like watermelon. While there's something primitively satisfying in chomping into a watermelon slice much bigger than your face and spitting out the seeds, there may be times when you feel like something more refined (or don't want to stain your shirt). Or maybe you bought a massive watermelon that you can't possibly finish before it goes past it? The solution: the Pink Lady, a watermelon smoothie.

I found the recipe in a very attractive little book entitled Smoothies: 50 Recipes for High-Energy Refreshment by Mary Corpening Barber and her twin sister, Sara Corpening, and Lori Lyn Narlock. I have to say, I've never been that excited about smoothies (I prefer to eat my calories, if you know what I mean). But with my new blender and this book, I'm a convert! There's three blueberry smoothies I can't wait to try: Bad Boys (with boysenberries), Black Beauty (with grape juice), and Maple Blue (for those who like blueberry cobbler). The twin authors are also San Francisco locals.

The authors comically note that this smoothie reminds them of their favorite candy, Jolly Rancher watermelon sticks! The Pink Lady has a much more refined taste. It was super refreshing! A friend suggested it would be good with mint — I agree.


Pink Lady (adapted from Smoothies: 50 Recipes for High-Energy Refreshment):
1-1/2 cups watermelon, seeded and diced
1/2 cup strawberry sorbet
8 ice cubes
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
pinch of salt

Blend all ingredients together in a blender until smooth.

So watermelon, fruit or vegetable?

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooooh, wow I have to make a watermelon smoothie!!! Yeah. Yes, yes!! I'm gone for this one.

9:44 AM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

Yum... we love these too.. I just make mine with the watermelon, ice, fresh lime juice and a tiny sprinkle of stevia. I freeze it into popsicles too.. my kids LOVE them.

Your cilantro pesto sounds delicious too.

10:01 AM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

How beautiful!
(Aren't we smart to smoosh up our produce and drink it?!)

11:14 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

I love the popsicle idea! I could go for one of those myself.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Dori said...

Cute picture on your profile. Watermelon drink looks great. I have a huge watermelon to deal witht his weekend.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Dori said...

I don't think anyone responded to you about whether watermelon is a fruit or veggie. I vote fruit.

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a fruit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watermelon

6:12 AM  
Blogger The Lone Beader® said...

Where's the Absolut??? Just kidding...Sounds refreshing.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

lone beader - I think that would work well!

8:24 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

I always thought of watermelon as a fruit, but apparently its really a vegetable. Technically, it is from the
vegetable family Curcurbitae, its closest cousins being the cucumber, squash and pumpkin.

I wrote to the National Watermelon Promotion Board and they pointed me to this:
http://www.watermelon.org/pdfs/media/presskit2006/WatermelonFacts.pdf

Enjoy!

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Botanically speaking there are no such things as vegetables. What we consider veggies are either fruits, leaves, stems, or roots.

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home