Google+

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Blue Beauty: Blueberry Smoothie



Blueberries — so good and so good for you!

Not only are blueberries low in calories and heavenly in taste, they are also the highest rated fruit and veg in their capacity to destroy free radicals. Blueberries can help protect against heart and circulatory disease and cancer, and help fight the aging process. This recipe is, therefore, this week's contribution to Sweetnicks ARF/5-A-Day Tuesday (ARF=Antioxidant Rich Food) for containing two superfoods: blueberries and yogurt.

Based on the Black Beauty Smoothie in Smoothies: 50 Recipes for High-Energy Refreshment by Mary Corpening Barber and her twin sister, Sara Corpening, and Lori Lyn Narlock, this scrumptious blend of frozen blueberries, grape juice, and yogurt was both creamy and refreshing. I skipped the blackberries, in the hopes of eluding the tiny seed grit issue, but the blackberry yogurt supplied more seeds than I could have imagined was possible. Next time, I'll follow the recipe and strain the mixture through a sieve.

Still, taste-wise this was absolute winner! I loved the grape juice-blueberry combination and the stunning color of this healthy smoothie.

Blue Beauty (adapted from the Black Beauty from Smoothies: 50 Recipes for High-Energy Refreshment):

I cup low-fat Blackberry yogurt (original recipe calls for vanilla)
1/2 cup grape juice
2 cups fresh frozen blueberries (original recipe calls for 1-1/2 cup blueberries and 1 cup blackberries)

Blend in a blender until smooth. Strain through a sieve.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What could be finer! Blueberries and yogurt! I have to be really hard pressed to strain it, I'll take the seeds.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Dianne said...

Lovely recipe Catherine ... I was just about to blog a similar one, only mine is blueberry and redcurrant smoothie. Maybe I'll post it in a couple of days instead

:)

9:10 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Dianne - I look forward to that one although I've never seen a redcurrant here.

Tanna -I hear ya! I can take the seeds, but they really annoyed the kids.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Sumitha said...

Looks absolutely Yummy!

2:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home