Google+

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Black Bean, Tofu, and Grilled Veggie Burrito



Happy Father's Day! Here's a hearty meal to consider!

"How much longer?" Hubby wants to know. I got him right from the start with the whafting smell of grilled green peppers, red onions, and Mexican squash, with a drop of oil and fresh lime juice.

It's very hot in the kitchen. It's been a gruelingly hot day, the pizzas for the kids, long ago eaten, have really heated up the kitchen and I now have three burners going: my grill pan with the peppers et al, a saucepan with the tofu, rice, and black beans with salsa, and a third that I am warming tortillas over and flipping with my toast tongs. "Almost done." I say.

I hand him a plate of two enormous, barely rollable burritos.

"Can I eat these or do you need to take a picture?"

"Go ahead. I'm photographing mine!"

"Whoa...incredible" in the background as I photograph

Here's how mine looked pre-wrap:



I added grated sharp cheddar, rolled, and topped with guacamole (mashed avocado, lime juice and salt) and home made salsa.

These really were incredibly good. I stopped by a Good Earth Natural Foods store earlier in the day and picked up some spicy baked tofu. It was firm and smoky and perfect for this dish. Along with black beans and some left over rice, my favorite home salsa, smoky grilled veggies and tangy sharp cheddar cheese, it was the best burrito I ever had! A hearty Father's Day dish!

Black Bean, Tofu & Grilled Veggie Burrito (serves 3-4):

Flour tortillas (I used TJ's homemade)
8oz seasoned baked firm tofu
15 oz tin of black beans, rinsed
1/2 cup leftover cooked rice

Salsa:
1 large tomato, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 jalapeno, chopped
6 green olives,chopped
1/2 zucchini, chopped
fresh lime juice
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
Your favorite salsa

Grilled Veggies:
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 red onion, sliced
1/2 zucchini


To make the salsa, mix together all the fresh items and add a little of your favorite salsa as a base. Mix together. You can vary the veggies as desired - the recipe shows what I used this time.

Combine the black beans, tofu, and rice in a saucepan with your favorite salsa. Heat slowly until combined.

Make the guacamole by mashing one large avocado with salt and a little lime juice.

Grill the veggies in a grill pan wipe with a tiny amount of olive oil. Add lime juice if they become too dry. Grill, turning occasionally, until cook and lightly charred.

I heated the tortillas over a gas flame using wooded toast tongs to flip them. This is fast and easy and they get a little charred but don't dry out. Alternately, you can heat them for a few minutes in the oven at 200.

Fill each tortilla with the bean-tofu mix, topped by the grilled veggies, and the homemade salsa. Add grated cheese if desired and roll into a burrito. Spread the top very thinly with guacamole and pile on the homemade salsa. Serve with sour cream, if desired.

5 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

"Can I eat these or do you need to take a picture?"
"Go ahead. I'm photographing mine!"

Oh, he's trained! Good going.

9:58 AM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

I laughed so hard at the picture thing..

what great burritos! Yum!

You are a very dedicated wife.. I'm not making my hubby's meal because it's too hot to turn the stove on.. I'll do it tuesday.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Cookie - he's well trained (I was kind enough to leave out the "Oh so mine are just test-runs" comment!)


Melody -they were tasty. I hear you. We're gonna hit the BBQ today - outside, men cook, I stick with the salads.

10:12 AM  
Blogger t. said...

Ay my house when I snap a food picture the comments are more like: "are you photographing your food again??Why? or why????"

The omnis living with me just do not get it!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Dori said...

This looks pretty darn yummy! I have grown to love chapati wrapped foods, I think that until i had a good homemade one, the store bought are just dry and flavorless... but then I have found one pita by new jerusalem that I enjoy, maybe I just haven't tried enough other chapati brands. However, they are easy to cook so maybe I won't bother.

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home