Google+

Monday, May 22, 2006

Spinach & Goat Cheese Crepes


So I've found something everyone in the family will eat - crepes! Not only are they incredibly easy to make, but you can cater the fillings to suit your family's (various) tastes. It worked for me!

The recipe I used comes from Marlena Spieler's The Vegetarian Bistro. One thing I hadn't anticipated was how incredibly rich these very thin pancakes would be. While they were delicious, I really couldn't finish two of these babies. In the future, I'll probably go with a filling that is much less rich.

The filling above is spinach and goat cheese. All I did was cook 3 garlic cloves in a little oil, add the spinach, salt & pepper, a little white wine and a little half & half. I then mixed in 3 oz crumbled goat cheese. The result was rather too rich and creamy for me. Next time, I'd skip the half & half and use feta or a tangy hard cheese.

What were the other fillings? Just plain grated cheddar for my son and for my daughter, a dessert crepe with chocolate chips.

All you need is a good, non-stick skillet (no need to buy a crepe pan).

Crepes (adapted from The Vegetarian Bistro:)

3 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
1/3 cup water
1 cup flour
3 tbsp oil or melted butter
a little oil for the pan

Preheat oven to 250. Whisk together all the ingredients by hand with a whisk. Heat up your non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add a tiny bit of oil and swirl to cover the pan. Add 1/3 to 1/2 cup (depending on the size of your skillet) of batter to the pan and swirl pan around so that batter covers the bottom of the pan very thinly. Cook until bottom is slightly brown. Flip the crepe over and cook very briefly on the other side. Put the cooked crepes on a plate (you can pile them on top of each other) and cover with foil. Keep them warm in the oven until ready to fill and serve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home