Google+

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

French Potato Salad


This is our favorite potato salad of all time. I've had the recipe in my recipe binder for quite a few years (the paper is yellowed!). I remember that the recipe was in the NY Times Sunday Magazine and was part of an article on picnic recipes. Alas, there's no date or author listed so forgive the lack of credit here.

This French potato salad recipe infuses the warm potatoes in white wine then bathes them in a tangy Dijon vinaigrette. It's rather fiddly and time-consuming to peel all those little potatoes, but totally worth it. I used to be lazy and make a half batch, but now I know better!


French Potato Salad:
2 lbs small potatoes
1/4 cup white wine
1 tbsp. white-wine vinegar
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp Dijon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup olive oil (I'm going to try and use less next time - I think it would be fine)
2 tbsp scallions, finely chopped
2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped

Scrub the potatoes. Boil some salted water and cook potatoes until they are just tender (use a sharp knife to check), 15-30 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes. Drain. As soon as they are cool enough to handle, peel them and cut them into 1/8" slices. Put the slices in a bowl as you go along and pour the wine over them as you go. Set them aside to absorb the wine. Toss very gently when you are done to ensure equal coverage.

In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, Dijon, salt, pepper and olive oil until it thickens. Add the scallions and pour over the potatoes. Sprinkle with the parsley and toss very gently. Serve at room temperature.

5 Comments:

Blogger nosheteria said...

Yum! I love a good mayo-less potato salad, and this one fantastic.

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Catherine,

I agree with Nosheteria. I'm not a big fan of mayonnaise. I also love potato salad and this one is a must-try!

6:34 AM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I third that! This is one of my favorite preparations... everything except the wine bath, which I had not thought of, but will now!
Nice photo.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Fiber said...

Sounds and looks excellent. I love the arrangement on the plate too!

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this recipe! I'm blogging about French cooking. Maybe you will find something interesting for you too:)

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home