Google+

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Green Garlic & Cheddar Scones



Baby leeks? Giant scallions? Nope...that's Green Garlic, which several farmers' market vendors were selling this week. A culinary secret, green garlic is immature garlic that hasn't yet developed its garlic bulb and has a much milder flavor than the mature bulbs, yet still has that distinct garlic flavor. It can be used in any recipe in place of regular garlic or leeks, and can be used raw or cooked. Alice Waters has a delicious sounding Green Garlic Soup recipe in Chez Panisse Vegetables, which I would have tried except that I'm hitting the holiday road today and wanted to make something easily transportable.




So I decided to make an adapted version of Farm Girl's Savory Cheese & Scallion Scones. The only changes I made were substituting the green garlic for the scallions and cheddar cheese for the feta. I used all but the leafy ends of the green garlic and sliced and chopped them just like scallions. If you want an aromatic zen experience, chopping green garlic is an excellent meditation — the smell is incredible, you won't be able to think about anything else.

I also cut my scones into 12 rather than 8 and reduced the cooking time to 18 minutes. The scones were a delicious vehicle for the green garlic - very tasty and aromatic, yet mild. Next time I'd increase the amount of cheddar cheese (I used 4 oz of sharp cheddar) as the cheddar taste was too mild for me, at least right out of the oven. I noted with the original scone recipe that the flavors seem to develop more the next day and were delicious toasted. I suspect the same will be true for this version. Serve fresh from the oven ot toasted the next day with butter or cream cheese — heaven.

p.s. I'll be gone for a few days with the kids (Spring Break and my mum's birthday) and not sure of mum's computer's photo abilities, so I may not be posting till mid-next week (give me strength!)

11 Comments:

Blogger Farmgirl Susan said...

Those look and sound fabulous! Wonderful photo of the green garlic, too. Ha ha, I guess I don't need to post a cheddar chive version--good, one thing off my To Do List. : )

Yes, I do think the flavors of pretty much all scones (and nearly all baked goods, for that matter) intensify after a day or so. I, too, love these savory scones toasted.

Did you use a really sharp cheddar? That would definitely give you plenty of flavor. And I think upping it to 6 ounces would work, too.

So glad you're enjoying this recipe. And thanks for the links. Hope you have/had fun on your holiday! : )

11:37 AM  
Blogger FooDcrazEE said...

never had green garlic here. Shall i plant some and see its the same ?

10:13 PM  
Blogger K Allrich said...

I love cheddar in biscuits and scones! These sound lovely.

Have a great visit/time away!

5:24 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

hi Farmgirl.

I am having fun with this recipe - I'll try a different cheddar or more next time. Regarding the chives version, there's a tasty Welsh cheese with chives called Tintern that I bet would be awesome in these.

Foodcrazee - yes, please do and let us know.
Hi karina, this recipe is very good. I like the fact that it uses cream cheese instead of butter (much easier to mix).

8:24 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Cyndi said...

This sounds really tasty. Enjoy your spring break. Mine just ended!

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your scones look yummy. I have tried green garlic with potatoes and cream and it's fantastic but i must try the soup and the scones too.
Have a nice break.

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Catherine,

That's fantastic. I would have never guessed that was garlic.

I think it's great that you're enjoying fresh, local produce. We're still a ways away from that in Toronto.

Great recipe! I'm going to give this one a try!

4:11 PM  
Blogger Fran said...

This is wonderful! I really enjoy making scones and want to try your version.

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you cut off the bulbs? My early garlic has bulbs

11:28 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Anon - no, the bulbs are the best part! your green garlic is just older that the ones in my picture so the bulbs are more developed. The small bulbs are delicious and much milder than fully formed garlic.

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home